To enhance our personal relationship with friends, clients and potential new clients, here is a blog of some highlighted events. Our studio's goal is to build personal relationships with our clients. It is our hope that this insight into the life of our studio enhances our pursuit of that goal by allowing you to get to know us a little better.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sky High School Portrait


This June my son Pete will graduate from the fifth grade. It is his final year in elementary school. Next fall he begins Middle School. I was scheduled to do some aerial portraits of some real estate not far from the school. So, after attending the fifth grade spring concert the night before, I asked the school's principal if she would like me to fly by and take a portrait of the fifth grade class from the air. Of course she was delighted with the idea so we set up the arrangements. During school that day Pete had no sooner told his classmates how his dad was coming by in a helicopter than the sound of the approaching chopper could be heard, turning his classmates' skepticism into amazement.

The children were arranged behind a giant banner out in front of the school. From the helicopter I took a close-up shot of the group along with an overview shot of the group and the entire campus. I donated a framed wall portrait of the overview image that is displayed in the school lobby. I also had a composite print made up for each fifth grade student that included the group close-up and the overview shot.

There are certain times over the course of your career that you think to yourself, wow, this is why I do what I do. Seeing the look on my son's face after I landed in a helicopter at his school's parking lot and the pride he had when we handed out the print copies to all his classmates was one of those times. It was one of those moments Pete, myself, and many of his classmates will never forget!

Our local newspaper, The Gold Coast Gazette, featured a story on the photo. Click here to view a PDF of the reprint of the article.

# # #